Throbbing tooth pain can indicate tooth damage caused by a cavity, infection, or cracked tooth. Generally, a toothache is caused when inflammation in the teeth occurs (called pulpitis).
A tooth cavity or tooth decay allows the air (germs) to get inside the tooth, which irritates and affects the pulp nerves, causing a throbbing toothache. Below are the top 5 causes of throbbing tooth pain.
What are the top five main causes of throbbing tooth pain?
Tooth or a dental abscess
- A tooth abscess usually occurs when more than 0.5 percent of the pulp inside the tooth dies.
- When the dead tissue forms a pocket of germs and pus, this sends a signal.
- Generally, it’s an infection caused by any untreated tooth injury, cavity, or other previous dental issues.
- Also, it is most likely to occur when cracks let the microorganisms pass into the tooth region.
The following procedures are used to treat a tooth abscess:
- First, antibiotics are used to kill the organism causing the infection.
- Root canal for cracked or cavity tooth
- Draining of the tooth
- Cleaning gum tooth
- Implantation( replacement of a synthetic tooth)
- Tooth decay is considered one of the most common reasons for toothaches.
- This usually happens when tiny holes in a tooth can’t be fixed.
- The main causes of tooth decay or cavities include bacteria, sipping sugary drinks, snacking, and irregular tooth cleaning.
- Cavities aren’t dependent on age and can happen to anyone with teeth, including infants.
- The appearance of tooth decay can be seen in the form of black spots, small white spots, or brown colors on teeth.
Treatments for tooth decay include:
- Antibiotics for treating infections
- Tooth cleaning to remove plaque
- A filling to fix the cavity
- A tooth fracture is often considered a sign of cracked tooth syndrome (CTS), which usually happens when a cracked tooth is present.
- Sometimes the cracks are small and don’t hurt, but most of the time, they cause the tooth to break or split.
- Therefore, a tooth fracture can give rise to throbbing tooth pain and even infect the pulp and nerves there.
The following treatments will undoubtedly aid in the repair of your tooth fracture:
- Dental glue
- Root canal
- Tooth cap
- Gum infection, which can result in gum disease and periodontics.
- Gum disease is the main reason for tooth loss in adults.
- A serious gum infection can destroy your gums and jawline, too.
The infected gums were caused by various factors, including:
- Hormonal fluctuations
- Genetic factor
- Diabetics disorder
- Cancer and its treatments
- Not proper cleaning of teeth and mouth
When your gums are infected, microbes can spread to your teeth’ roots, leading to an infection and a painful toothache.
- Infected gums are common but preventable with the below treatments:
- Antibiotics for treating infected gums
- Cleanings to remove plaque regularly
- Medicated mouthwash
- Scaling or root planning for deep cleaning
- Dental surgery (for serious tooth condition)
- Grinding teeth, or bruxism, is caused by regular grinding of the teeth.
- Bruxism usually occurs due to stress, genetics, and overdeveloped jaw muscles.
- Teeth grinding or clenching can increase your chances of developing tooth decay, toothache, or cracked teeth.
- This may hurt your jaw muscles, teeth, and temporomandibular joints (TMJs).
- Awake bruxism and sleep bruxism are the two types of grinding.
Symptoms of bruxism include:
- Yellow teeth
- Rounded teeth
- Sensitive teeth(hot or cold drinks)
- Thinning of tooth
- Roughness and small cracks on teeth
- Dented teeth
- A mouth guard for avoiding grinding during sleep time.
At Creative Dental Clinic, our team offers full dental care and services to help people with throbbing tooth pain. Convenience and comfort are the hallmarks of our team and clinic. We offer different payment methods, flexible appointment times, and standard dental care to make things easy for you.
We, at Creative Dental Clinic, provide you & your family with holistic and evidence-based dental treatment whilst ensuring the highest levels of quality, comfort, and hygiene, making your visits enjoyable.